10 tips for gambling safely
Do you want to take part in gambling? This can be risky. Make sure the game remains fun and doesn’t get out of hand.
Our tips for gambling safely
- Don’t start betting money as soon as you get paid. First pay all your bills, like your rent or mortgage.
- Decide in advance how much money and time you can spend on gambling. Set this as your spending limit before you start playing. Take regular breaks and stop once you have reached that limit or the time has run out. Don’t use your debitcard or top up.
- Keep in mind that, on average, you will end up losing more than you win. ‘The house’ always wins in the end, so stop if you are ahead.
- Don’t be influenced by ads, promotions or bonuses.
- Always read the fine print before you play.
- Don’t borrow money to play. That means you should not use a credit card either.
- Winning or losing is almost always determined by coincidence or chance, not by your insight or practice, and certainly not by superstition.
- Give priority to work, studies and appointments with others over gambling.
- Gamble for your enjoyment or for fun, not to win money.
- Don’t gamble when you’re angry, sad, lonely or bored, or when you are drinking alcohol or using other substances.